Further to all the brainstorming sessions among ourselves and discussions with students and faculty at ACCET, one clear need that emerged was “Communication Skills”. Talking to a few companies which provide these kind of services, we have narrowed down on a couple of training companies. The idea is to offer Communication training to the 5th and 6th semester students. The course content would be similar to the one below
• Introduction to Communication/Types of Communication/Modes of communication
• Introduction to Spoken English/Grammar/Reading skills
• Grammar rules and common phrases
• Speech rate/Inflection/pitch
• Communication exercises-Real life Roleplays/Simulations
• Public speaking-Simulations/Removal of stage fear
• Effective Presentation Exercises
• Practical Communication Games-JAM/Shipwreck
• Current affairs discussions
Placement Preparation program:
• Effective resume writing
• Tips for effective resume writing
• Group discussion strategies
• Group discussion simulations
• Interpersonal skills/Rapport building
• Body language introduction
• Types of handshakes/facial expressions
• Types of Interview questions
• Methodology to handle interviews
• Art of winning interviews!
Cost of providing this training onsite for one batch (approx. 400 students) over a 16 weeks (3 hours a week) would be approximately Rs. 2,000 per student. This works out to Rs. 8 lakhs per year. Considering that we want to do this program in some form or other for 5 years and factoring for inflation we would need to collect 45 to 50 lakhs for this.
During the course of our discussions we also discovered that a training course for the teaching faculty, especially the ones that have been recruited in the recent past is also important. However, we are not taking this up right away as there are sensitivities and egos involved here and we are trying to ascertain how to go about this. While this is not an area which we want to be actively involved, we are trying to see how we can help the college overall.
Look forward to your ideas and suggestiions.